Why We're Different
- 1901 - Recognizing the need for plumbing pipe in the newly industrialized, post-war South, W. Frank Dowd built a small foundry in Charlotte, North Carolina, to produce cast iron soil pipe and fittings. The original Charlotte Pipe and Foundry employed 25 men.
- 1926 - W. Frank Dowd's son, Frank Dowd II, began leading Charlotte Pipe with the goals of expanding the sales territory and developing stronger customer relationships.
- Early 1950's - Frank II's sons, Frank Dowd Jr. and Roddey Dowd joined the company. They supervised the overall mechanization of foundry production processes during a time when many cast iron pipe foundries ceased to operate due to relentless competition in the industry.
Charlotte Pipe and Foundry Mission Statement
- We're constantly focusing on process improvement to serve you better. We've invested millions in improving manufacturing efficiency, productivity and capacity. Continuous investment in the latest casting technology has made our foundry one of the most modern in the world.
- Charlotte Pipe meets or exceeds all federal, state and local environmental regulations and standards. Since 1988, we have spent approximately $35 million on environmental improvement projects. We recently received the "Blue Thumb" award from our local water authority for our water conservation efforts.
- Investments in the latest tooling and machinery make it possible for us to meet increasing demand for our products and to produce the highest quality castings in the industry.
- Productivity continues to increase and lead times continue to shorten thanks to ongoing process improvements and equipment.
- Our information systems, powered by SAP software, give plant managers and customer service teams important information, including real-time inventory balances. Order entry information is linked with inventory management and production scheduling.
Integrity is our foundation, meeting the expectations of our customers, associates and owners is our commitment.
Statement of Values
- Treat all associates with dignity and respect and provide an environment where success is based on character, ability and results
- Produce the highest quality product while maintaining the safest and cleanest plants in the industry, always being good environmental citizens.
- Provide the best customer service and continue our tradition of strong customer and vendor relationships.
- Maintain a strong financial base, reinvest most of our profits back into CP&F, and provide a reasonable return to our shareholders.